As a Visitor to our Site, we want you to know what kind of personalized information we may collect on the Site, how we collect such information, how we intend to use the information and how we intend to keep the information secure. Generally, some of this will depend on what type of Visitor you are:
Teenagers (ages 13-17) and Adults
Children Under 13
Children under 13 should not participate in Services on the Site. Services related to the PTA Family Reading Challenge are only for participants over age 13. Prize eligibility is limited to participants 18 and older.
PARENTS AND GUARDIANS NOTICE
It is important for you to talk with your teenager or child about using the Internet safely. Here are just a few things to keep in mind:
- Remind your son or daughter (whether a teenager or a child under the age of 13) to never give out his or her full name, address, phone number or any other information that would enable someone to locate, contact or identify him or her without your permission. Help them make up a creative and unique username and password and advise them to keep their password secret.
- Tell your son or daughter that if they receive something that they are not sure about, or if another user says or does something that they don’t like, to let you know.
- Impress upon your son or daughter the importance of never engaging others in a communication or activity that would put them at risk.
Teenagers (ages 13-17) and Adults
- Information Collected: When using this Site and its Services, Visitors may be asked to provide certain personally-identifiable-information (e.g., name, address, phone number and email address) and general, non-personal demographic information (e.g., occupation, hobbies, zip code, etc.). Visitors may be required to provide personally-identifiable information when registering for a specific Service on the Site, participating in the Family Reading Challenge, or requesting information from us. The terms and conditions of the PTA Family Reading Challenge are available at PTAReadingChallenge.org.
- Use of Information: We will use the information we collect on the Site, for example, to provide and enable the Visitor to participate in the Services requested, to provide email accounts, to send newsletters and updates regarding our Site and Services, to send announcements of the PTA Family Reading Challenge, to respond to inquiries and requests, for our internal market research activities, for marketing purposes and to otherwise promote our and our partners’ activities and products.
- Any information we collect on the Site may be used, for example, to provide a Visitor with periodic marketing and promotional notices and other correspondences from us. A Visitor may elect to “opt-out” of certain uses of their personally-identifiable information as set forth below.
Children Under 13
- Children under 13 should not participate in Services on the Site.
General (Applicable to Visitors of All Ages)
- IP Addresses: We passively collect IP addresses for the purpose of system administration and to maintain and report aggregate Visitor information. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to a Visitor’s computer. Web servers can automatically identify individual computers by their IP address. We may link IP addresses to personally-identifiable information.
- Links: The Site may include links to other third-party websites and other third-party websites may link to the Site (the “Linked Sites”). We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of the Linked Sites and hereby expressly disclaim all responsibility and liability which may arise from there.
- Technical Information: Settings, technical and other information concerning a Visitor’s computer, such as an operating system, browser version, connectivity, various communication parameters and other information related to the operation and interaction of the Site and the Services may be passively collected by us.
- Tracking Usage Patterns: We also may passively gather information and usage patterns related to our Visitors’ use of the Site and the Services, including, without limitation, real-time tracking of other websites linked to and from this Site, to better understand how our Visitors, as a group, use the Site and Services, and the various features thereof, as well as to help us provide personalized offerings, and to conduct market research and other commercial activities. We do not engage in behavioral targeted marketing.
- Public Forums: When you contribute to certain community areas of the Site and certain of our Services, such as a chat room, bulletin board or other similar open forum, the information that you submit may be made available to other Visitors to the Site who have registered on the Site or for such Service. For this reason, we recommend that you do not submit any sensitive information, including your full name, home address, phone number, financial information or other information that would enable other users to locate you. Instead, make up a username that does not disclose your personal identity.
- Security: We strive to protect our Visitors’ personally-identifiable information and privacy, however, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Thus, although we will exercise great care to provide secure transmissions of personally-identifiable information, we cannot guarantee the security of information disclosed online, and Visitors use the Site at their own risk. In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your personally-identifiable information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your email address, we may notify you by email. You consent to our use of email as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use another method to notify you in this situation, please email us at [email protected] with the alternative contact information you wish to be used.
- Consent to Processing: The Site is operated from the United States. All Visitors of the Site and users of the Services fully understand and unambiguously consent to the collection and processing of their personally-identifiable information in the United States.
- Legal Disclosure and Acquisition: We shall, pursuant to valid legal process, such as a search warrant, subpoena or court order, allow access to relevant Visitor information, in order to comply with such process and to protect our rights and property. If warranted, we may also allow access to this information in special emergencies where physical safety is at risk. We may also disclose or transfer personally-identifiable information regarding Visitors in connection with a merger, acquisition, change of control or sale of all or substantially all of our assets related to the Site.
- Send email to: [email protected]
- Send certified/return receipt requested mail to: National PTA Headquarters, 1250 N. Pitt Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
Thanks for visiting our Site.
Version Date: June 1, 2015